Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Finding Reading Interesting is Key!

Today we read News-o-Matic on my iPad.  We were focused on what draws us into a magazine or non-fiction text.  When I opened it up, I was immediately drawn into an article about Maker Faire New York.  This past summer I had a booth with my students at Maker Faire Detroit, so I am completely interested in all things Maker Faire!  We read the article, watched the video, and even wrote to Russ, the editor.  Then I passed out Time for Kids magazines.  I gave the kids a few minutes to look through the edition, and then they had to pick the article they were most interested in reading more about.  We created a graph with our interests using Google Spreadsheets.  Check it out!

I hope that as the year goes on, Team Bond students will be able to find things to read that will interest them, find books that they can learn more about, and use their curiosities to fuel their love of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment